Monday, January 10, 2011

Be There, Show You Care

Months ago I created a list of personal commandments for myself.  Things that I wanted to remember, words to guide me.

Here are the commandments I have talked about recently:
Be Heather
Dance with God.  Let Him Lead.
Let Go of Perfect.
No Deposit.  No Return.
Be in Awe.
Enjoy the Ride.

These are all important.  Valid commandments.  But they are a lot of 'me' commandments.  Not a lot about other people.  Granted these are personal commandments, but there are still other people in my life.

It was then that I realized that I am an introvert.  I can do group things but need to recharge alone, somewhere quiet.  But I care immensely.  For the people in my life, the people who were in my life.  Whether they are family, good friends, students, or acquaintances.

So my seventh commandment is broken into two parts.

The first is to Care.  Care about people.  Who they are, who they want to be.  What they like, what they don't like.  Care about their successes and care about their struggles.  Realize that we are all on a journey where there are no guarantees.  No road maps.

The second part is And Show You Do.  Yay for you.  You care about someone.  You care about people's lives.

But that's not enough.  It's a good first step.  But it's not enough.

You need to celebrate those ups.  And share in the downs.  A load is always lighter when it's shared.  This doesn't mean I have to show every single person that I care about that I do.  There are some people you care about quietly.  You say a prayer.  You give a smile.  And then there are people, or times in their lives, when you need to step up.

STEP UP!  Show that you care.  Be there for the valleys and the peaks.  Don't pick and choose.


Care.  And Show You Do.



1 comment:

  1. You are so right, Heather! The hard part is not the caring, it's the showing. Especially because you have to show to different people (or lives in your life) differently.

    Thanks for this beautiful remidner!

    ReplyDelete

Life is busy, thanks for taking a moment to leave a note!