Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Who Do You Think You Are?

In May I shared my 11 Personal Commandments, things that I want to remember and live by. My very first commandment was to Be Heather. But what does that mean? Who am I? Who do I think I am?

Over the past year I have been working on a family tree. Seeing how far back the roots of my family extend, where they turn, where they run deep, where they are closer to the surface. I have rejoined my local church and am looking into my faith, my beliefs and my values. But each of things on their own mean little. It's when they are sewn together with the stitches of time, the brush strokes of life that they become something more.

So when I say to Be Heather, what do I think that means?

Heather is a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities. Her family will tell you they are German, Czech, Swedish, Irish, English, Scottish and Dutch. But her roots flow through Austria, Switzerland, France, Germany, Moravia, Bohemia, Sweden, Holland, England, Russia, Ireland and Scotland.

Heather is a daughter, a sister, a friend, a cousin.

Heather believes in the christian faith. There is a god who created this earth and every person in it. She believes in second chances, traditional values, and the beauty of the simple things.

Heather is a teacher. A youth group leader. A mentor.

Heather is a planner. An organizer. A thinker.

Heather is also self-concious, a second-guesser, slow to trust, quick to help, a people pleaser.

Heather is an ear when no one seems to be listening. A helping hand when you have fallen down. She is a shoulder to cry on. A word to fill the void. A rock in the rapids. A guardian.

Heather is all these things. Yet she is so much more.


Who do you think you are?

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I need to stop and take stock of who I am. I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello HEATHER! :)

    well... to be honest. i think my friends and boyfriend know me better than I am.

    and I just deny it.

    i've actually come to realize that when someone tells something negative about me because they are just being honest and they love me. I brush the idea away or channel the conversation to something different. I suddenly defend myself. i guess that's normal right. we defend ourselves in order to avoid hurt.

    but the thing is, even if i'm aware of it. i don't change it.


    you know what they say, it's easier said than done right.

    my boyfriend always said that i keep saying i will improve but i end up doing the same mistakes. sometimes i tell my boyfriend. well.. this is me. i guess i wont change so you have to deal with it.


    but is it really us? even if we know that we are already repeatedly doing something WRONG.

    oh well .. hahahaha... nice post... it really activated my mind. :) hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Life is busy, thanks for taking a moment to leave a note!